Once the highlight of All-Star Weekend, the Slam Dunk Contest has not been as intriguing in recent seasons, with stars staying away from the event.
That is the case once again in 2023, although we do have some terrific athletes participating in this year’s contest.
While the star-caliber names won’t be there, may be one of this year’s participants can create a legacy with a legendary Slam Dunk Contest performance:
NBA Slam Dunk Contest participants
- Mac McClung – Philadelphia 76ers
- Jericho Sims – New York Knicks
- Trey Murphy III – New Orleans Pelicans
- Kenyon Martin Jr. – Houston Rockets
NBA Slam Dunk Contest odds
NBA Slam Dunk Contest recent winners
- 2022: Obi Toppin – New York Knicks
- 2021: Anfernee Simons – Portland Trail Blazers
- 2020: Derrick Jones Jr. – Miami Heat
- 2019: Hamidou Diallo – Oklahoma City Thunder
- 2018: Donovan Mitchell – Utah Jazz
- 2017: Glenn Robinson III – Indiana Pacers
- 2016: Zach LaVine – Minnesota Timberwolves
- 2015: Zach LaVine – Minnesota Timberwolves
- 2014: John Wall – Washington Wizards
- 2013: Terrence Ross – Toronto Raptors
- 2012: Jeremy Evans – Utah Jazz
NBA Slam Dunk Contest prediction and pick
Jericho Sims is an insane athlete, posting the third best vertical in the history of the NBA combine, but it’s hard for bigger players to make dunks look as impressive unless there is a ton of power behind them.
MacMcClung, who is on a two-way deal with the Sixers, is an extremely fun athlete at the guard position, and he’s actually set as the favorite in this contest.
I actually think Kenyon Martin Jr., a high flier for the Houston Rockets, is a little underrated in this contest at +280. He’s thrown down plenty of fun poster dunks in his career, and he’s not as big as Sims which could make his dunks look more impressive.
This contest is a tough one to bet on given the lack of star power and experience, but I’ll lean with Martin and may sprinkle on Sims as well.
Game odds refresh periodically and are subject to change.