Is it too early to look back at the 2017 NBA Draft and wonder what might have been? Never! So on the latest episode of Fastbreak Breakfast we try and ascertain which franchises already have regrets about the decisions they made barely two months ago on draft night.
Are these hot takes? Are we rushing to judgement after the small sample sizes of Summer League? Will all of our conclusions be embarrassing if we listen to them next summer or the one after that? Highly likely!
Helping with the redraft of the 2017 first round is Cole Zwicker (@colezwicker) from the What’s On Draft podcast. In addition to being a draft analyst, Cole is a scout for NetScouts and a contributor for The Step Back.
Among the topics and changes considered:
- Should the draft take place after the start of free agency to help teams better address their needs?
- Dennis Smith Jr. might become the steal of the draft after a strong showing in Las Vegas. But are any of the teams that passed on him ready to change their minds?
- Without Phil Jackson in the front office, would the Knicks have made a different selection? Where does Frank Ntilikina end up if New York doesn’t take him?
- If Donovan Mitchell comes off the board before pick 13, the Jazz likely don’t trade up with the Nuggets. So who would Denver take if they could do draft night over?
- Bam Adebayo surprised many with his skills playing in Summer League, but would he move up at all if the draft was held now?
- Did any second round picks prove they deserved to be taken in the first round?
Original music provided by Codaphonic